Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Arundhati (Old Odia Movie: 1967)

Arundhati (1967) Music: Shantanu Mahapatra 
Minati Mishra's Odissi Dances in Arundhati (Oriya, 1967)
I had figured I would never get to see any of the film's dances other than the rare Bharatanatyam-Odissi one from my favorite black-and-white classical dancespost because Oriya/Odia films are very difficult to come by (in fact, I haven't the first clue how to get my hands on one).  Perhaps Arundhati's 1967 National Award (Best Feature Film - Oriya) has been a factor in its availability… It's incredibly rare to see such classical Odissi in Indian films, though I suspect there is likely some filmy license taken such as increasing the speed and other minor deviations.  But given how respected a dancer Minati was, I assume the alterations are minimal.  Surely there are more of these wonderful dances hiding in the archives of Oriya cinema (such as Baje Bainsi Nache Ghungura from my Holy Grail post)… There is also a folk dance in the film, if you're interested. Posted by MinaiMinai TUESDAY, MAY 15, 2012






No comments:

Post a Comment