Theatre Halls In Calcutta
BENGAL THEATRE (1873) This was literally the first permanent stage in the history of professional Bengali Theatre. On 16th August,1873, this theatre was inaugurated with the staging of 'Sharmistha', an immortal creation by Madhusudan Dutta. Sri Biharilal Chattopaddhyay was inextricably linked with the Bengal Theatre. He was a prolific actor and an equally adept impressario. After his death in 1901, this theatre ceased to exist. In later days, the Beadon Street Post Office was built at this place. It still exists with glory at Dani Ghosh Sarani (former Beadon Street).
GREAT NATIONAL THEATRE (1873) 6, Beadon Street The Great National Theatre was established on 29th September, 1873. Sri Bhuban Mohan Niyogi donated a large sum of money for founding this theatre. Sri Dharamdas Sur had made the blue-print of this building. On 31st December, that year, the play 'Kamyakanan' was staged here. In 1877, Girish Chandra Ghosh became its owner and rechristened this Theatre as 'National Theatre'. But he could not run the theatre for long. Later on, Sri Pratap Chandra Jahoori took charge of this theatre and theatrical performances were resumed on this stage. This theatre was renamed as 'Minerva Theatre' in course of time. catchcal.com