Saturday, May 26, 2007

Homer or Stephen King, Sri Aurobindo or Isabel Allende

Armchair Travel Friday, May 25, 2007 Another Fan of the Blind Greek Guy
James O'Reilly, cofounder of Travelers' Tales feels the same way I do about books. Here's an excerpt from his website:
"To James O'Reilly, books are as important as water, air, and food.
He writes: 'I would be a sad fellow indeed without them, and this has been true for as long as I can remember. They are as rivers flowing through a universal mind that doesn't know the bounds of time. I can be with the dead as easily as the living— Homer or Stephen King, Sri Aurobindo or Isabel Allende, Wallace Stegner or Jan Morris, Mary Shelley or Redmond O'Hanlon.
Books are the aqua vita of the spirit; they form a kind of background radiation against which I measure my life and my endeavors. They buck me up when I'm down, inspire me out of torpor, galvanize me when I am ready to walk the fire.'" Stephen Hartshorne 2:05 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment